US SAILING has partnered with Sailors for the Sea, the only non-profit organization working solely with boaters to protect and restore ocean, lake, and coastal water health. Briefly, through its Clean Regattas program, Sailors for the Sea works with yacht clubs, sailing programs and regattas that want to:
• Provide a means for sailors to become stewards of the ocean.
• Maintain high levels of environmental responsibility.
• Do their utmost to protect and restore the waters they sail upon.
The Clean Regattas program offers independent, third-party verification and free certification to assist regatta organizers, yacht clubs and sailing programs to achieve higher environmental standards.
Our shared goal is to certify all US SAILING JO events as Clean Regattas. Here are some of the requirements:
• Run a Trash Free Regatta - keep your shores and waters clear of debris.
• Prohibit overboard discharge of trash and littering at shore facilities (e.g., rigging tape, cigarette butts, beer cans)
• Encourage recycling from boats and shore facilities.
• Require that motorized vessels shall carry and use at least one bilge sponge and one fueling spill pad.
What would your event need to do to qualify?
• Make the Clean Regatta Commitment by including in the sailing instructions a rule requiring conformance with the requirements of Clean Regattas.
• Include a list of "green" cleaning products in participant goodie bag.
• Assign a volunteer "Clean Regattas liaison" to communicate with Sailors for the Sea, and present the program at the Skippers Meeting.
• Create a Green Team: Assemble a team to work on shore and sea cleanup, oversee recycling operations and communicate the goals of the program throughout the event.
Sailors for the Sea will work with you to implement specific actions, develop the best strategies for your location, and provide discounts on items like non-toxic products and reusable water bottles that can help you achieve certification.
Learn more about the Clean Regattas Program.